Monday, August 22, 2011

Double Duty

DSCN0009

It almost felt like Fall to me this weekend as I was peeling, chopping, and roasting my root vegetables and squash.

I used 2 different kinds of squash, carrots, and parsnips for my weekend cooking, and it was so easy and delish!

The chopping really took the longest; everything else was a snap.  Once I had all the veggies cut into even pieces, I roasted them in the oven with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.

DSCN0010

Once cooked through and just a bit caramelized, I took half of the veggies and dumped them into my blender with enough stock (chicken or vegetable works) to get a even blend.

Then I poured the blend into a soup pot, and continued to heat through, adding a bit of ginger, honey, and additional stock until consistency was to my liking.  Additional options would have been to add cream, nutmeg, or a bit of hot sauce (depending on your preference).

Grill up a cheese sandwich and I’m ready to go!

DSCN0016

For the rest of my veggies, I kept them as a separate side dish to snack on throughout the week.  That’s what I call a two for one deal!

No comments: