Thursday, March 3, 2011

Veggie / Chickpea Falafel

If you aren’t familiar with falafel, it’s pretty simple –  ground up, fried chick pea mash… okay, it’s actually much better than it sounds!

Here’s a basic falafel recipe that I’ve found to be quite good:

  • 1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • Salt
  • Pepper

The standard way to cook falafel is to blend the ingredients together, form into small flattened balls, and fry (350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes).

However – I made up the following healthier version of a “falafel-ish” recipe and liked it just as well!

I started with leftover vegetable curry.  I was tired of eating the curry as-is but didn’t was to get rid of the leftovers, and since it was all vegetables, spices, and a ton of chick peas – I figured why not try veggie / chick pea falafels?!?

I strained my vegetable curry to keep just the veggie / chick pea contents, added extra virgin olive oil, salt, cumin and parsley and blended until smooth.

I then formed into flattened balls and BAKED until cooked through (about 5 mins each side @ 350 degrees).

Curry veggie falafel wrapped in a pita, with lettuce and a little roasted red pepper hummus made a perfect lunch for me!

DSCF5753DSCF5754

DSCF5755DSCF5756

No comments: