Pesto is such an easy and versatile sauce. I usually make a big bowl of it and use it as a sauce, marinade, and a salad dressing base.
The only down side about pesto is that it can be quite pricey. As an alternative, I often use walnuts or almonds instead of pine nuts. Since I buy my other nuts in bulk, the cost is much more affordable and the flavor and nutritional elements still fantastic!
This week, I made a basil pesto:
Ingredients / Directions:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts / walnuts / almonds
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pulse in a food processor until well blended.
marinated pesto chicken & pasta:
To make it into a dressing, I whip the pesto with Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and stream in more extra virgin olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Divine!
pesto salad dressing:
couscous with asparagus, red pepper, & basil pesto: