Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Quiche

DSCF5864

DSCF5868

Oh, I adore quiche.  Whether eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner – it’s always smooth, creamy, cheesy perfection.  One of the best things about quiche is that you can mix and match the ingredients each time to keep thing interesting. 

This time, I took my classic quiche lorraine recipe and simply switched the swiss for sharp white Vermont cheddar and the bacon for mushrooms.  I also went with cream instead of milk for extra creaminess.  Mmmm good.

My tweaked recipe:

Ingredients

  1. 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  2. 1 medium onion, halved and sliced thin
  3. 4 eggs, beaten
  4. 1 1/2 cups milk or cream
  5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  6. 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
  7. 1 T flour

Directions

Bake crust in 425 degree oven for 5 min (line crust w/ foil).  Remove foil and bake another 5 min.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cook onion (in bacon grease if possible) until tender, adding sliced mushrooms in after first 2-3 mins.

Mix together milk / cream, salt, and eggs.  Stir in onions and mushrooms.  In separate bowl, mix cheese and flour, then add to egg mixture.  Mix and pour into crust.

Bake 45 mins or until center of quiche is solid. 

TIP: cover crust edge with tin foil to prevent overbrowning.  Let stand 10 min before serving.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

Oh my! Yum- I love quiche, and I really like playing around with some of Cabot's flavored cheddars in my recipes. Garlic and Herb, Habanero, Tomato Basil... So good!
~Jacquelyn

Londyn said...

Great tip!! Thanks :)