Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekend Food – Breakfast Crepes

DSCF5670

Crepes have always been some of my favorite things.  I love both savory and sweet crepes and I have absolutely no idea why I don’t make them more than I do.  This Saturday, I decided to end my crepe fast and made some wonderfully delicious breakfast crepes.  What better way to start a January Saturday morning?

Crepe Recipe (makes 18):

  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1.5 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

The above recipe is a plain crepe recipe that can be made either sweet or savory.  However, to make my breakfast crepes a bit more special I also added:

  • vanilla extract
  • splash of orange juice
  • a few good shakes of cinnamon
  • 1-2 tablespoons of sugar

It’s funny to me that so many people refer to crepes as difficult to make, as I find them very easy.  Combine above ingredients and whisk until very smooth.  Then heat a small skillet (6 in) and lightly grease with non-stick spray, butter, or olive oil.  Pour in batter to lightly coat the skillet and lift and tilt skillet so batter is spread evenly.  Cook about a minute and loosen w/ bendy spatula before flipping onto a plate (no need to cook both sides!).  Voila!  Perfect crepes.

DSCF5664DSCF5665

While I was making crepes, my fruit topping was also getting prepped on the stovetop.  Pick whatever combination of fruit you like, then mix them together in a pot with a little sugar, orange juice, and maple syrup.  Let fruit macerate over low heat until softened and sweet.

DSCF5662

For the crepe filling (optional) I just whipped up a few ingredients together top of mind:

  • cream cheese
  • powder sugar
  • splash or orange juice
  • splash of maple syrup
  • cinnamon
  • cottage cheese (optional)

Mix together, and spread on crepes before folding.

DSCF5666DSCF5667DSCF5668

Once crepes are made, filled, and folded, top with fruit and powdered sugar.  Then relax with that cup of coffee and embrace your weekend morning (I know I did!).

DSCF5669

No comments: