Monday, January 17, 2011

Rutabaga & Clean Food Cookbook

DSCF5568

I love this cookbook!  Okay, I love all cookbooks, but this one is great for healthy seasonal food.  It’s also very authentic to natural food flavors.

My first recipe was rutabaga puree with orange and ginger.  I almost always oven roast root vegetables and eat with some salt and pepper, so this switch was a pleasant change.

I cut the recipe in half, but the original is as follows:

  • 4-5 rutabagas
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • sea salt

You pretty much put all ingredients together on the stovetop until cook through, then blend in a food processor and enjoy! 

The flavor was great and the orange and ginger very subtle.  The texture was okay for me, but I think I would have liked it even better if it was blended half and half with mashed potatoes.  Another option would be to blend it with a little cream and butter.

DSCF5611

1 comment:

DaShannon said...

I love this cookbook. I made the persimmon pudding for coworkers. After exposing what a persimmon was they loved it.