Ah, sweet, tart, tangy cranberries. Have you ever made your own cranberry sauce? It’s so easy and so homey! Definitely worth it. This recipe is one of my favorites. Don’t be afraid of the jalapeno, it just gives a slight heat @ the back of the throat like with a good chutney. If you prefer, leave it out. The recipe is still delicious!
- 1 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries, cleaned
- 1/2 a jalapeño finely diced
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Cook the cranberries, jalapeno, sugar, and 1 cup of water in a saucepan over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the skins pop open. Add the apple, zests, and juices and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and add the raisins and nuts. Let cool, and serve chilled.