Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chicken Chilaquiles

When my mom and I went to Hilton Head, I had the best chicken chilaquiles EVER!!!  When I got back home, I looked up “chilaquiles” and found a million and one recipes for this dish.  It can range from a breakfast dish or a hearty dinner dish… casserole style or portioned and plated… etc…

In essence, chilaquiles refers to fried corn tortillas and a partnering red or green salsa.  Other ingredients are optional and are often either fried / scrambled eggs or pulled chicken.  If anyone would have described this recipe to me, I don’t think I would have been impressed, but after tasting it – it will definitely be a staple in my home!

I made my chilaquiles with red salsa and pulled chicken.  Unfortunately, I did not have corn tortillas on hand, so I used basic tortilla chips.  It was still delicious, but next time I’ll definitely make the extra stop at the grocery for authentic corn tortillas.

The recipe below has tomatillos for a green salsa, but if you don’t have any on hand, the red it just as good and you make it simply by using red tomatoes or tomato sauce.

Ingredients:

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 450°. In a blender or food processor, puree the tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeño until smooth. In a large saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cumin and coriander and cook over high heat until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the tomatillo puree, bring to a boil and cook until the sauce loses its bright green color, 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with 3/4 cup of the pepper Jack, the farmer cheese and half of the tomatillo sauce; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, toss the tortilla chips with the remaining sauce.
  3. Spread half of the chips in an 8-by-11-inch baking dish; top with the chicken and cover with the remaining tortilla chips. Don't pack the chips down. Dollop the sour cream over the chips and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup of pepper Jack. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is browned. Serve immediately.

Red salsa (before blended):

DSCF5210

Red Salsa (after blending):

DSCF5214DSCF5219

Pulled Chicken:

DSCF5213  

Chicken w/ Salsa:

DSCF5222

The final product (mixed w/ cheeses and poured over chips!):

DSCF5223

No comments: