Sunday, August 29, 2010

Crispy fish & veggies

DSCF4946
Growing up, my family never made or ate fish, so I’ve never made it a part of my diet – until recently.  I’ve begun eating and cooking more fish this past year or so, and I really love it (when done right & not “fishy”). 
I’m not too ambitious yet, but I’ll eat halibut, cod, and trout with decent regularity.  I’m sure I’ll continue trying more as I have the option, but for now – that’s where my ventures lie.
I like baked, sautéed, and fried fish.  I love fish with a lemony butter sauce and I also often crave a crispy exterior. 
I found this crispy fish was quite good!  I also made a side of zucchini, mushrooms, onion and artichoke (just sautéed with olive oil, salt & pepper).
Ingredients
  • 2 cups dry potato flakes (or breadcrumbs)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (use salt & paprika if you don’t have seasoning salt)
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 4 (6 ounce) fillets cod (or other white fish)
  • shortening or vegetable oil, for pan frying
Directions
  1. In medium bowl, combine the potato flakes, flour, garlic powder, seasoning salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
  2. Soak fish filets in bowl of cold water.
  3. In a skillet or fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
  4. Dredge fish filets in dry mixture and fry in the hot oil for 5 minutes or until fish flakes apart easily. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.

Eat & enjoy!

No comments: