Saturday, July 31, 2010

Brownie Bread Pudding

DSCF4727

Bread pudding is one of those comfort foods that I’ll always cherish.  It’s so homey and welcoming.  The aroma is enticing and the texture rich and creamy.  What’s not to love?

I’ve made bread pudding with croissants, doughnuts, and muffins, and today I made it using day old brownies!  All divine.  I’m not sure which is my favorite… The muffins and brownie mixes are very rich, the doughnut is quite sugary but in the oh-so-good way, and the croissants are just butter perfection.

I always switch up bread pudding mixes, and this time I tried a lower fat version.  It was pretty good!

  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I sometimes use do half white sugar, half brown sugar)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 4 cups bread cubes (for this recipe, I used half day old French bread and half brownie)
  • 1/3 cup dried cherries (you can also use raisins or cranberries)

HOW TO MAKE:

  1. Beat ingredients 1-6 together in bowl.  Toss together with bread crumbs and cherries in a 2 quart bowl.
  2. Bake 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
  3. I like to top this with a caramel, rum, or whiskey sauce, then add a scoop of vanilla ice cream… (so much for the lower fat notion…) mmmm! 

No comments: