Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sides to my fish dinner

I am reading Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard and it is phenomenal!  Not only do I get to read a beautiful love story, but I also get ridiculously delicious simple French recipes.  This book couldn’t fit me any better!

The most recent recipe I tried was a poached fish dish and the sides I made were homemade mayonnaise, oven roasted leeks, and red potatoes (the potato recipe wasn’t in book, but the other recipes were).

“Homemade Mayonnaise

The key to success is to have everything, from the bowl to the eggs, at room temperature.

  • 1 egg yolk (only the freshest, preferably organic – remember, you’re eating it raw)
  • Scnt 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup safflower, sunflower, peanut, or mild vegetable oil

… Combine the egg yolk, mustard, and salt in a small mixing bowl.  Using an electric eggbeater, beat the yolk mixture while adding a few drops of oil at a time.  When the mixture begins to thicken and set, add a thin but steady trickle of oil.  The mayonnaise will not take more than a minute or two to puff up.”

DSCF4222DSCF4226

I hadn’t tried leeks until I made this simple recipe, and now they are a staple I won’t do without.  They are delicious!  Salty, sweet, slightly oniony goodness…  mmmmm

I make mine a bit different than Bards recipe, but it’s still the same idea.

Leeks – chop roots and coarse green woody end off, then chop as bite size desired.  Place on tin foil lined baking pan, drizzle with olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Mix with hands so that olive oil covers the leeks.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until leeks are tender.

DSCF4218DSCF4217

My starchy side was little red potatoes.  I dropped the potatoes in a bath of cold salted water and brought to a boil until I could “stick a fork in them!”.  Then I softly smashed them and added butter, salt, pepper, and dill to taste.  Ready to eat!

DSCF4221DSCF4228

No comments: