Monday, May 24, 2010

Made-Up Eggplant Dish

DSCF4295

I don’t cook with eggplant a lot because I’ve often found it to be tough or bland.  However, I love Pompilios eggplant parmesan, so was recently inspired to try cooking with it again.

Typically, when I cook I just make things up as I go and utilize whatever I happen to find in my pantry or fridge at that moment.  That was definitely what happened with this eggplant dish.

I started by peeling the eggplant and slicing it in 1/2 inch thick slices.

DSCF4290

Next, I drenched the eggplant slices in flour and then a beaten egg mixture.  I cooked them slowly on the stovetop w/ a little olive oil and butter.

DSCF4291  

For the other part of my made-up eggplant dish - I sautéed onions, leeks, and ground turkey breast.  At the very end, I threw in diced heirloom tomatoes and added salt and pepper to taste.

DSCF4288

2 comments:

Wicked Thrifty said...

i don't personally eat eggplant (one of the only veggies i don't like!) but i have a random tip- if you sprinkle them with salt and let them sit on/between paper towels for a while, some of the water will leach out and leave you with slightly less slimy and easier-to-fry slices :D

The Hyper Cook said...

I LOVE LOVE eggplants and I am always on the lookout for new yummy recipes other than just frying them. Your recipe seem a tad different than the usual and I am sure it tasted great, I like your combinations!

Take a look at another Moroccan way of making eggplants on my blog. You will love it:)
http://cookingtodestress.blogspot.com/search/label/eggplants