Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sweet & Salty

DSCF3813  

I’m definitely a big nut lover.  I love nuts on salads, with fruit and yogurt, or just plain as a healthy snack.

Nuts are high in calories – so beware not to “go nuts” with them (ha ha), but enjoy in moderation. 

Healthcastle.com states: Nuts are one of the best plant sources of protein. They are rich in fiber, phytonutrients and antioxidants such as Vitamin E and selenium.  Nuts are also high in plant sterols and fat - but mostly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (omega 3 - the good fats) which have all been shown to lower LDL cholesterol.

One downside of nuts is that they are typically quite expensive -- particularly flavored or roasted nuts.  To make this this snack more affordable, I buy raw nuts in bulk and roast them myself!

Roasting Nuts Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray.

Select raw nuts – I like almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios…

Toss the nuts in a little olive  walnut, or vegetable oil.  About 2 tbsp of oil for every cup of nuts.  Then mix them with  your favorite seasonings.

Some I’ve tried:

  • grill seasoning
  • salt & pepper
  • garlic and season salt
  • cinnamon and brown sugar

Spread out the nuts on the baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5-10 min

** You'll know the nuts are done when they you can smell them and they have turned a nice golden brown.

Now eat and enjoy!

2 comments:

Helen said...

Yum! These look pretty delicious Londyn. I like the idea of mixing them with a little cinnamon and sugar.

Helen
ww.roughcooking.com

solasoletta said...

Yay, nuts! I was really excited the other day when I was making Passover dinner with my grandmother and I got to toast walnuts to put in the charoset. Excellent.

And thanks for the comment on my blog! :)