Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Stroganoff of Sorts

I was in the mood for stroganoff this weekend. 

Good old fashioned stroganoff is typically made with cream of mushroom soup and ground beef.

I’m not opposed to that kind of stroganoff – however, I had neither of these ingredients in my kitchen, and I also wanted to make something with a few more vegetables included.

Here’s what I came up with!  A stroganoff of sorts made with ground chicken breast, veggies, noodles, cream cheese & goat cheese.

DSCF3780

I used typical egg noodles for the base.  I cooked them up in a great big boiling pot of liberally salted water.

DSCF3782  DSCF3786

I used the vegetables I had on hand: eggplant, cabbage, mushrooms, and green beans – however, I think almost any veggie mix would work!

 DSCF3781

I sautéed my veggies in a little oil and butter.  

DSCF3783

Meanwhile, I cooked my chicken breast with onions, garlic, and seasonings (salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, and a splash of soy sauce).  Once the meat and veggies were properly  cooked, I mixed into one piping hot skillet and blended in a heaping tablespoon of herb and garlic goat cheese and 2 heaping tablespoons of cream cheese.  I was surprised at how far the cheeses went!

** TIP – you can use a bit of chicken or veggie broth to thin out the sauce if it’s a bit too thick.

DSCF3787

Finally, I dished the creamy kind-of stroganoff over the egg noodles and topped it off with a fabulous roll and a glass of white wine.  Yum!

DSCF3791

No comments: