Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lentil Soup

bkl

When I cook, I love to get inspiration from online recipes, cookbooks, cooking shows, restaurants and simply things that are in my kitchen!  I recently ate at Bronte Bistro in Rookwood Pavilion, and was inspired to make this lentil soup / stew.

base_media

For all you Cincinnati folks:

Bronte Bistro Rookwood Pavilion                                                   Ste M, 2692 Madison Road, Cincinnati, OH 45208                        (513) 396-8970‎

The bistro is actually inside of the Joseph Beth bookstore, and it has a nice variety of Food Network specials (Rachel Ray’s turkey burger, etc..) and great “brunch-y” items. Beware – parking is a pain and you often have to wait 30 mins to be seated.  The plus side of waiting is that at least you can browse books to pass the time!

Any whoo - I tried their lentil soup and fell in love with it!  It inspired me to try my own, so I googled and checked by beloved cook books and online sites.  I ended up making a similar version of the recipe listed below:

All Recipes Lentil Barley Stew
Ingredients
  • 2 quarts vegetable broth
  • 2 cups sliced fresh button mushrooms
  • 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, torn into pieces
  • 3/4 cup uncooked pearl barley
  • 3/4 cup dry lentils
  • 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons dried summer savory
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • salt to taste
Directions
  1. In a slow cooker, mix the broth, button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, barley, lentils, onion flakes, garlic, savory, bay leaves, basil, pepper, and salt.
  2. Cover, and cook 4 to 6 hours on High or 10 to 12 hours on Low. Remove bay leaves before serving.

No comments: