Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chili for those chilly nights!

A warm pot of chili is the perfect accompaniment during those cool and rainy days.  Since we’ve been having a lot of cool rainy days lately in my neck of the woods, I was more than happy to cook up a big pot of chili. 

DSCF3696

I start out by cooking up either ground turkey or chicken (1-1.5 lbs).  I season it well with salt (or Lowry’s), pepper, cumin, and a bay leaf.  Of course, you can substitute with beef, but trust me – turkey / chicken tastes great and the fat & calories are a fraction of what beef would be!

Next I add chopped onions (2/3 cup) and garlic (2-3 cloves) and cook them down all together.

*Finally I pour in the following:

  • 15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of tomato paste
  • 15 oz can of crushed / diced / or whole tomatoes
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 15 oz kidney beans
  • 15 oz black or northern beans
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1.5 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

*these measurements are all estimates – so feel free to play around and mix up the amounts to your preference!

DSCF3698

BTW – I recently bought a cast-iron pot that can go from stovetop to oven.  It’s a bit more maintenance, but I love it!  My pot is a Martha Stewart and I got it from Macy’s for a great deal.

2 comments:

Wicked Thrifty- Formerly The Thrifty Stylist said...

gorgeous enameled cast-iron! i got a royal blue Le Creuset for xmas last year and it's absolutely amazing!

i am having chili tonight, over homemade cornbread (mmm). i do mine vegetarian, usually, since i'm not that into ground chicken and ground turkey, if it's not breast, is often as fatty as beef. i'm on the lookout for ground bison, though, which has fewer calories than any of those!

i also HIGHLY recommend black beans (lightly mashed- in addition or instead) to add awesome flavor and texture. they're so much different from kidney beans.

such a great comfort food for the raw, rainy weather and our cranky daylight-savings-deprived selves!

Healthy and Homemade said...

Mmmmmmm I just love chili! I did a recipe sort of recently for a sweeter type of chili, it was oh so good and went fantastically with corn bread! ^_^