Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tuna Melt a la Londyn

DSCF3854

A healthier version of an old fashion tuna melt! 

I’m a huge lover of down-home comfort food like lasagna, fried chicken, soups & stews, etc…  Tuna melts are another one of my faves, so I made up this healthy version and it was pretty dang good!

The main change: Instead of heavy bread = Substitute a portobello mushroom

I roasted the mushroom with a little olive oil, rubbed on some garlic (optional), added a hefty slice of tomato, spooned on the tuna, and finished it with a few pieces of spinach and a small slice of swiss cheese. 

Bon appétit!  (yes, I’m channeling Julia right now…)

4 comments:

Brittany D'Lynne said...

I don't like tuna and I'm trying to steadily convince myself that I like mushrooms, but that looks amazing! I'm going to try it with chicken maybe. Yum!

Wicked Thrifty- Formerly The Thrifty Stylist said...

looks pretty tasty! i LOVE tuna, especially albacore, but i've stopped eating it completely because of mercury concerns. boneless canned pink salmon is an awesome alternative with no mercury :D

Londyn said...

Ah - chicken or salmon - good ideas ladies!

I looked up some info on mercury in tuna and found:

For women of child-bearing age who aren't pregnant -- Mercury can linger in the body after you stop eating fish, so these women are advised to eat no more than about three chunk-light cans per week, or one can of solid-light or white tuna.

Wicked Thrifty- Formerly The Thrifty Stylist said...

precisely, londyn... it's sad that the "good" (albacore) is worse for you! but it's from a bigger fish, and the bigger the fish, the more mercury. the safest variety is skipjack (what i gather they do chunk light out of) and the worst is bluefin (much of the sushi out there is this variety so keep it in check!)